Wednesday, December 28, 2011

My Little Pony: Styling is Magic

My Little Pony: Styling is Simple

I’ve been aching to style Rarity’s hair ever since I first bought her.  I looked up a few tutorials online, but they were all made for older generation ponies. I thought that maybe I’d make my own tutorial for the Friendship is Magic toys.

Rarity is our model, of course.

~You will need~
-Conditioner
-Your pony’s comb
-Curlers or pen caps
-Strips of paper towels
-Tiny baby hair-ties/rubber bands
-Maybe barrettes


I trimmed some of Rarity's hair to get a flatter edge like she has in the cartoon. Her ends were previously really uneven. You don't have to, but as someone who cuts their own hair, I was a bit picky about it. 




STEP I
Wash your pony’s hair with mild temperature water and a bit of conditioner. The conditioner will make your pony’s synthetic mane super soft and help to hold the style.
I use an all-natural conditioner for my own hair, and it worked splendidly for Rarity. Of course, synthetic hair is all the same, so it doesn’t really matter what kind of  conditioner you use.



STEP II
Towel-dry your pony’s mane and tail as much as you can, but make sure it’s still a little damp! The styling won’t hold if you dry your pony’s mane all the way.

STEP III
Brush out your pony’s hair. Part it as you see fit. I’m going for the same style Rarity wears in the cartoon, of course. However, it’s always easy to re-style your pony’s locks, so don’t be afraid to practice or have fun with it.


STEP IV
Here’s the tricky part. If you have some tiny curlers available (or you are styling a larger-sized pony), I highly recommend those instead. For this Rarity, I found that pen caps were closest to the correct size.

            Curly tail: Fairly simple. Wrap the tail around your pony’s back leg, starting on the outside. Cover it with a strip of paper towel and tie on a tiny rubber band.



            Mane: For Rarity I’ve got her bangs to one side and the rest of her mane to the other. This style would also work for Fluttershy. For Rainbow Dash or Twilight, You’ve got straighter styles that are a little harder to get right.
Roll her mane in the pen caps (so that they curl up and in, like in the cartoon!!), wrap with paper towel, and tie the rubber band on once again!




Let your pony sit this way overnight. The next day, carefully take everything off. In some cases your might want to brush her mane out a bit, but you might not! It’s a preference thing.


Let your pony sit this way overnight. The next day, carefully take everything off. In some cases your might want to brush her mane out a bit, but you might not! It’s a preference thing.




Here’s my very own Rarity! <3 I love her to bits. (Sorry about the picture quality…!) I got Fluttershy for my birthday, so I’ll post her once she’s done as well.

If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to ask! I’m always online. : )

xo

1 comment: